On August 28, 2025, a volunteer Metropolitan Police special constable, James Bubb—who now identifies as a transgender woman named Gwyn Samuels—was found guilty of a string of sexual offences, including the rape and sexual assault of a child under the age of 13. The verdict, delivered after a harrowing trial at Amersham Law Courts, has sent shockwaves through the Metropolitan Police and the wider public, raising urgent questions about trust, online safety, and the responsibilities of those in positions of authority.
According to BBC News, Bubb, aged 27 and from Chesham in Buckinghamshire, groomed his first victim online in 2018. The two initially met on the video chat site Omegle, with their first in-person meeting taking place a few months later at a Christian festival. Bubb was volunteering as a steward at the event, while the victim, then just 12 years old, wore a color-coded wristband that clearly identified her as a child. Prosecutors described how Bubb sexually assaulted the girl in public, shortly before her 13th birthday, and was forced to hurriedly pull up his trousers after a dog walker passed by.
The abuse did not end there. The court heard that Bubb was violent towards the child, choking and punching her during the attacks. The victim later told police that Bubb "spoke a lot about the powers he had" as a Metropolitan Police special constable, using his position to intimidate and manipulate her. Det Sgt Catriona Cameron of Thames Valley Police’s child abuse investigation unit explained, "There was an element that he used the fact that they are a special constable in order to intimidate and they have used officer safety techniques and restraint on the victims as part of their offending."
Bubb’s crimes were not limited to a single victim. He was also found guilty of raping a second complainant—a woman he met online while posing as a 16-year-old girl. This second victim, who had just turned 18 at the time, endured abuse during an on-off relationship with Bubb between January 2018 and February 2023. She told police that Bubb would "use police training techniques" on her and that "the control, the power he got. It sure as hell wasn't consensual." The court also heard that Bubb used BDSM and kink as a means of exerting control over her.
The offences took place between January 1, 2018, and April 2, 2024, in both London and Buckinghamshire. Bubb began volunteering with the Met Police Central West team as a special constable in September 2020, and was suspended from all volunteer duties immediately following his arrest by Thames Valley Police on April 30, 2024. Notably, all the incidents occurred while Bubb was off-duty. According to Simon Stancombe, the OCU Commander for the Met’s Anti-corruption and Abuse Command, "The actions of Bubb are completely despicable, and I commend the victim-survivors for their bravery in coming forward, ultimately leading to this conviction today." He added, "No complaints had previously been made about Bubb’s conduct while performing his duties as a Special Constable. Now criminal proceedings have concluded we can proceed with seeking dismissal."
Bubb was ultimately found guilty of five offences: one count of raping a child under 13, one count of sexual activity with a child, one count of assault of a child under 13 by penetration, one count of assault by penetration (all relating to the first complainant), and one count of rape relating to the second complainant. He was acquitted of one count of rape and one count of sexual activity with a child in relation to the first complainant. Jurors reached their verdicts after six hours and 32 minutes of deliberation, a testament to the complexity and emotional weight of the case. Judge Jonathan Cooper acknowledged the difficulty faced by the jury, telling them, "The case must have been very challenging, I'm sure, for you as individuals."
Throughout the investigation and trial, Bubb’s gender identity was a point of clarification but not contention; the court referred to Bubb by biological sex during proceedings, as the offences were committed before the defendant’s transition. During the police investigation, Bubb changed name and began identifying as a transgender woman.
The impact of Bubb’s crimes has rippled far beyond the courtroom. A spokesperson for the NSPCC, the UK’s leading child protection charity, emphasized the breach of trust involved: "As a special constable, Bubb should have been someone who could be relied on to keep children safe. It is now vital that both the victims in this disturbing case receive all the support they need to move forwards with their lives." The spokesperson also highlighted the broader issue of online safety, stating, "Bubb’s actions also highlight once again how tech companies need to be doing much more to make their platforms safe spaces for children and young people when they go online."
Detective Constable Kirsty Pendle, who led the Thames Valley Police investigation, described Bubb as "a dangerous, predatory sex offender." She commended the courage of the victims in coming forward, saying, "The abuse inflicted on the victims by the defendant was appalling, therefore I am pleased the jury has convicted the defendant of a number of offences on the indictment. I would like to commend the courage and bravery shown by the victims in reporting these crimes and their strength throughout this investigation and court proceedings." Police have also appealed for anyone with further information about Bubb to come forward, referencing Operation Aspect.
In addition to his volunteer police role, Bubb was employed as a theatre technician at Harrow School from 2018 until April 2024. Upon being alerted by authorities, the school terminated his contract and stated, "Having made the appropriate internal inquiries and communicating fully with the police and the local authority designated officer, we have no reason to believe that they engaged in any misconduct towards pupils or colleagues at the school."
Bubb will be sentenced at a later date at Aylesbury Crown Court, with the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards set to pursue dismissal following the criminal proceedings. The case has reignited debates about safeguarding within law enforcement, the vetting of volunteers, and the responsibilities of digital platforms where predators may seek out vulnerable children.
For the victims, the verdict is a step toward justice, but the trauma they endured will take much longer to heal. As the NSPCC and other organizations have stressed, robust support and counseling are critical for survivors of sexual abuse. The case also stands as a stark warning for parents, schools, and tech companies alike—vigilance and proactive safety measures are essential to protect young people both online and offline.
As the Metropolitan Police and the wider community reckon with the revelations, the hope is that the bravery of those who came forward will not only secure justice in this case but also drive lasting change in how abuse is prevented and addressed in the future.