Today : Aug 29, 2025
U.S. News
20 August 2025

Explosion Rocks Baltimore Cargo Ship Near Key Bridge

A coal-laden vessel suffers a dramatic blast near the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse site, sparking safety measures and raising new questions as the bridge's replacement advances.

On the evening of August 18, 2025, Baltimore's busy harbor was jolted by a sudden explosion aboard the cargo ship W-Sapphire, a 751-foot bulk carrier registered in Liberia and loaded with coal. The blast, which occurred near the site of the infamous Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse from March 2024, sent a thick plume of black smoke billowing into the sky, prompting an immediate and coordinated emergency response. Fortunately, all 23 crew members and two pilots aboard the vessel escaped unharmed, as confirmed by both the U.S. Coast Guard and the Baltimore City Fire Department.

According to NBC News, the incident was first reported around 6:30 p.m. on August 18, with the cargo ship outbound from Baltimore Harbor, navigating a channel close to the former Key Bridge site. As the explosion rocked the W-Sapphire, witnesses and authorities alike were left scrambling to assess the scope of the emergency. The ship, which remained afloat after the blast, showed visible signs of damage consistent with fire and explosion, yet managed to stay under control thanks to the swift action of emergency crews.

The response was rapid and multi-faceted. U.S. Coast Guard crews, working in concert with Baltimore firefighters and local police, quickly arrived on the scene. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class Matthew West told NBC News that the fire was extinguished while the vessel was still moving, a testament to the professionalism and preparedness of the responders. The Baltimore City Fire Department described the location as the "Patapsco River near the former Key Bridge site," noting, "The vessel was showing signs of damage consistent with a fire and explosion."

To ensure public safety and facilitate emergency operations, authorities established a 500-yard safety zone around the cargo ship, potentially impeding vessel traffic through the main 700-foot-wide shipping channel. However, according to reporting from USA Today, the Coast Guard later expanded the safety zone to 2,000 yards, stretching from the Key Bridge to Brewerton Angle Channel LB "14." This precaution was necessary as officials worked to confirm the vessel's condition and investigate the root cause of the explosion, which remained unknown as of August 18.

Eyewitness accounts brought a human dimension to the drama. Jay Steinmetz and his son Sam, who were sailing nearby in the Patapsco River, recalled the moment with a mix of shock and awe. "We were out sailing and we heard a really loud explosion," Jay Steinmetz told USA Today. "We turned around, and there was a 200-foot plume of smoke. We are like, 'Holy crap.' Within two or five minutes, we hear, 'Mayday, mayday.'" Initially, the pair thought the blast might be related to ongoing demolition work on the remaining portions of the Key Bridge, which had begun in July. "We thought it was them doing demolition on the Key Bridge," Sam Steinmetz added. "We had just passed under the bridge, and the Sapphire ship had passed right by us. It was right next to the bridge, where it happened."

The explosion indeed occurred in an area already marked by tragedy and transformation. On March 26, 2024, the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a catastrophic partial collapse after being struck by a cargo ship, resulting in the deaths of six road workers. Since then, the site has been a hive of activity, with demolition and reconstruction efforts underway. The ongoing demolition of the bridge, which began in July 2025, involves heavy machinery methodically removing concrete slabs, six feet at a time. Brian Wolfe, Director of Project Development at the Maryland Transportation Authority, explained, "They have equipment up there that will essentially peel those slabs off. They set them on a loader that then brings them down."

Maryland Governor Wes Moore, during a recent tour of the bridge site, highlighted the rapid progress being made and the secure funding for the replacement project. "This is a team that has now gotten the permitting done in a matter of months, that's been able to keep us on track to deliver something that's going to be powerful," Moore said. The new bridge, which is being constructed parallel and several hundred feet east of the original, is designed to meet the latest federal interstate standards. It will feature two 12-foot lanes in each direction, 10-foot-wide outside shoulders, and 4-foot-wide inside shoulders, providing a safer and more robust crossing for generations to come. The bridge's total length will exceed two miles, with two towers rising more than 600 feet and a cable-stayed main span stretching over 3,300 feet. Its expected lifespan is 100 years.

Back on the water, the aftermath of the W-Sapphire explosion continued to unfold. The fire was contained, and tugboats assisted the vessel as it made its way back to port under its own power, according to Baltimore Fire officials. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dispatched a sonar-equipped survey vessel the following morning to scan the area for possible underwater obstructions that could hinder vessel traffic. Notably, a hatch from the W-Sapphire had detached during the explosion and fallen into the water. Recovery plans for the hatch were still being developed, and its exact location remained unknown as of Tuesday morning.

Throughout the ordeal, officials emphasized the importance of safety and thorough investigation. The U.S. Coast Guard, in a statement quoted by USA Today, said, "The U.S. Coast Guard and partners are responding to reports of an explosion aboard the merchant vessel W-Sapphire while it was outbound from Baltimore Harbor, Monday." They added that while the cause of the explosion was still under investigation, no injuries had been reported among the crew or first responders. The Fort McHenry Federal Channel, a critical artery for local and regional commerce, was reopened Tuesday evening after officials confirmed it was safe for navigation.

For the people of Baltimore and the wider shipping community, the incident served as a stark reminder of the risks inherent in maritime transport, especially in an area still recovering from a major infrastructure disaster. Yet, it also demonstrated the resilience and preparedness of local agencies and the broader maritime industry. As the investigation into the cause of the W-Sapphire explosion continues, authorities are keen to learn lessons that can help prevent future incidents and ensure the ongoing safety of Baltimore Harbor.

With the Francis Scott Key Bridge replacement forging ahead—promising a taller, wider, and more resilient structure—Baltimore stands at a crossroads between its storied past and an ambitious, safer future. The events of August 18 underscore both the challenges and the determination that define this vital port city.