The rolling hills of the West Bank, usually dotted with olive trees and the sounds of harvest, have become the backdrop for a surge in violence that has left communities reeling and international observers deeply concerned. This year’s olive harvest, a vital economic lifeline for tens of thousands of Palestinian families, has been marred by a dramatic escalation in attacks by Israeli settlers and, in some cases, the Israeli military itself, according to multiple reports and eyewitness accounts.
On Sunday, October 19, 2025, the tranquil groves of Turmus Ayya were shattered by a brutal incident that has come to symbolize the rising tide of aggression. Video footage obtained by The Associated Press and corroborated by other media outlets shows a masked man, identified by his tzitzit—a ritual Jewish garment—charging through the olive trees, wielding a large club. He struck a woman so forcefully that she fell to the ground and lay motionless. The Ramallah-based Palestinian Health Ministry later confirmed that the woman was hospitalized with serious injuries.
The violence did not end there. More than a dozen masked settlers ran down a village road, pursuing a car. One settler clubbed the vehicle and attempted to drag out a passenger, who managed to escape and flee on foot, chased by the group. In yet another scene, flames and thick black smoke billowed from cars that had been set ablaze. According to Haaretz, Israeli Defense Forces were reportedly present during these attacks, though their response remains unclear.
Such incidents are not isolated. Over the past two weeks alone, Israeli settlers and military personnel have carried out at least 158 attacks against Palestinian olive pickers, according to the Colonization and Wall Resistance Commission. These assaults have ranged from beatings and mass arrests to shootings, with at least 74 targeting olive-growing lands and 29 involving the cutting, bulldozing, or uprooting of trees and farmland. A staggering 765 olive trees—some of them centuries old—have been destroyed during this season alone.
The United Nations and human rights organizations have sounded the alarm about the scale and frequency of these attacks. Ajith Sunghay, head of the U.N. Human Rights Office in the Palestinian territory, told reporters from Ramallah, "Settler violence has skyrocketed in scale and frequency." He emphasized the economic and cultural importance of the harvest, noting, “It is not an understatement to say that the harvest season is the economic backbone of rural Palestinian communities.” Sunghay estimated that between 80,000 and 100,000 Palestinian families depend on the olive harvest for their livelihoods. The escalation, he said, is “truly alarming.”
Statistics from the U.N. paint a grim picture. The first half of 2025 saw 757 settler attacks resulting in casualties or property damage—a 13% increase over the same period last year. During just the first week of this year’s olive harvest, more than 150 settler attacks were reported, and over 700 olive trees were uprooted, broken, or poisoned. The violence has affected not only farmers but also foreign activists and journalists. Earlier in October, at least 36 people, including journalists, were injured when settlers attacked Palestinian farmers in the Jabal Qamas area of Beita, beating them and setting fire to three vehicles.
In response to growing international solidarity with Palestinian farmers, Israeli authorities have taken a hard line. Last week, Israel ordered the deportation of 32 foreign activists who had come to support the olive harvesters. These individuals were arrested near Burin, in the Nablus Governorate, for allegedly violating a general order that restricts land access during the harvest to those directly involved in the work. Interior Minister Yariv Levin and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir announced a 99-year entry ban for the activists, citing their alleged affiliation with the Union of Agricultural Work Committees, though they did not specify the activists’ nationalities or destinations.
The violence in Turmus Ayya has been particularly acute. The town, whose population is predominantly Palestinian American, has long been a flashpoint for settler attacks. Villagers say the situation worsened during the ongoing Israel-Hamas war. The killing of 14-year-old Palestinian-American Amer Rabee by Israeli forces in April 2025 triggered a wave of protests against settler violence and what residents perceive as the military’s failure to protect them. These protests have often led to further clashes with settlers.
The broader context is equally troubling. Since October 7, 2023, more than 1,000 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces or settlers in the West Bank, according to the United Nations. Thousands more have been forcibly displaced due to settler attacks, movement restrictions, and home demolitions. More than 700,000 Israeli settlers now live in 150 settlements and 128 outposts across the West Bank and East Jerusalem—settlements that are considered illegal under international law. Settlers are frequently armed and, according to multiple reports, often operate with the protection or accompaniment of Israeli soldiers.
The Israeli authorities’ response to the violence has drawn criticism from both local and international observers. Israel’s Channel 12 reported that the head of the West Bank police force admitted in an internal WhatsApp group that the footage of the masked settler beating the woman “kept him up at night” and instructed officers to bring the attacker to justice. Yet, both the Israeli military and police declined to respond to requests for comment from The Associated Press regarding the Turmus Ayya attack.
For many Palestinians, the olive harvest is more than just an economic activity—it is a deeply rooted cultural tradition, a symbol of resilience, and a connection to the land. The current wave of violence, destruction, and intimidation threatens not only their livelihoods but also their sense of identity and belonging. As one local official tracking the violence, Muayyad Shaaban, noted, the uprooting and poisoning of olive trees strike at the heart of Palestinian heritage and sustainability.
With the harvest season still underway, the fear is palpable. Farmers venture into their groves wary of what—or who—might be waiting. International observers, meanwhile, continue to raise their voices, urging greater protection for civilians and accountability for those who perpetrate violence. The olive trees, silent witnesses to centuries of history, now stand as stark reminders of a conflict that shows little sign of abating.
As the sun sets over the battered groves of the West Bank, the hope for a peaceful harvest seems more distant than ever. Yet, for many Palestinians, the act of gathering olives remains a quiet, stubborn act of defiance—a testament to endurance in the face of mounting adversity.