In a move that has sent shockwaves through Washington and beyond, President Donald Trump has reached a $1.776 billion settlement with the Justice Department, ending his $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Treasury Department over the leak of his confidential tax returns. The agreement, announced on May 18, 2026, establishes a taxpayer-funded “Anti-Weaponization Fund” designed to compensate individuals who claim they were wrongfully targeted by government agencies—a decision that has ignited fierce debate across the political spectrum.
The origins of this unprecedented settlement stretch back to 2020, when a former government contractor leaked Trump’s tax returns to media outlets including The New York Times and ProPublica during his first term. The contractor later pleaded guilty and was sentenced to federal prison. In January 2026, Trump, his sons Eric and Donald Jr., and the Trump Organization filed a $10 billion suit in Miami federal court, alleging the government had mishandled their tax information. The suit, filed in Trump’s personal capacity, sought both damages and accountability for what the plaintiffs described as a grave breach of privacy.
But as the legal drama unfolded, the case took an unexpected turn. With a court-imposed deadline looming—one that would have forced the Trump administration to justify whether there was an actual controversy, given Trump’s control over the agencies involved—a settlement emerged. The Justice Department, under acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, announced the creation of the “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” a mechanism to systematically hear and redress claims from others who allege they suffered from government “weaponization” and “lawfare.”
Under the terms of the settlement, Trump, his sons, and the Trump Organization will receive a formal apology but no monetary damages. Instead, the $1.776 billion fund—financed by the Treasury Department’s taxpayer-backed Judgment Fund—will be managed by a five-member commission appointed by the attorney general. Notably, Trump retains the power to remove any member of this commission, which will have the authority to issue both financial compensation and formal apologies to claimants. The fund will process claims until December 15, 2028, just before the next presidential inauguration, after which any remaining money will revert to the federal government.
“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” Blanche said in a statement released by the Justice Department. He added, “As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”
Yet, the settlement has not gone unchallenged. Ninety-three Democratic members of Congress attempted to intervene, arguing that the fund would “siphon billions of taxpayer dollars into the pockets of the President, his family, and his allies.” House Democrats, including Rep. Joe Neguse of Colorado and Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland, labeled the fund a “slush fund” and “one of the most brazen examples of corruption we’ve seen from this administration.” The House Democrats’ Litigation Task Force even filed a motion seeking to block what they called “pure fraud and highway robbery.”
Legal experts have also weighed in with sharp criticism. Paul Figley, a veteran of the Department of Justice’s Civil Division, told Axios that the Judgment Fund represents a “huge loophole” in congressional control over federal spending, one that “sat dormant for a long time” until the Obama administration used it for large-scale settlements. Brandon DeBot, policy director at NYU’s Tax Law Center, called the move “a breathtaking abuse of the tax and legal system,” especially at a time when courts are finding the Trump administration in violation of taxpayer privacy laws.
Outside watchdogs have been equally blunt. Donald K. Sherman, president of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), condemned the settlement as “the most brazen act of self-dealing in the history of the presidency,” warning that it “quite likely” violates the Constitution’s Domestic Emoluments Clause. “While Americans are struggling with an affordability crisis, President Trump plans to use nearly $1.8 billion in taxpayer money to pay off his friends and allies—including potentially the violent insurrectionists who attacked the Capitol on January 6th,” Sherman said.
The potential for January 6 defendants to receive compensation has become a flashpoint in the controversy. The Justice Department’s announcement confirmed that the fund could provide payouts to individuals, including those charged or convicted for their roles in the Capitol attack. Trump, when pressed by reporters at the White House, said, “It’ll all be dependent on a committee… a committee is being set up of very talented people, very highly respected people. I think it’s a committee of five. And again, I didn’t do this deal. It was told to me yesterday. They said they’re doing something. I do believe there has to be compensation for people that were destroyed. You have families absolutely destroyed. And it’s all going to be determined by a committee of four or five people that are respected and are very brilliant at what they do.”
Trump’s legal team, for its part, insists the settlement is “squarely for the benefit of the American people,” vowing that the president “will continue his fight to hold those who wrong America and Americans accountable.” The White House has referred questions to the Justice Department, which has not issued further comment since the initial announcement. The Treasury Department and the IRS have also remained silent.
Meanwhile, the legal mechanics of the case have drawn scrutiny. U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams, who had been overseeing the lawsuit, questioned whether a sitting president could sue agencies he controls, raising constitutional doubts about the “case or controversy” requirement. In Monday’s filing, Trump’s lawyers argued that the motion to dismiss was “self-executing” and did not require the judge’s sign-off, effectively bypassing further judicial review. Legal observers have noted the unprecedented nature of a sitting president seeking monetary damages from his own executive agencies, warning of potential conflicts and the risk of collusion.
The fund’s creation also brings into focus the broader debate over the use—and possible abuse—of executive power. Principal Associate Deputy Attorney General Trent McCotter stated, “The use of government power to target individuals or entities for improper and unlawful political, personal, or ideological reasons should not be tolerated by any Administration.” Yet critics argue that the very structure of the fund, with its commission appointed by the attorney general and the president’s ability to remove members, opens the door to political favoritism and inadequate oversight.
As the dust settles, the implications of the “Anti-Weaponization Fund” remain uncertain. Supporters hail it as a necessary corrective to perceived government overreach, while opponents see it as a dangerous precedent—one that could funnel public money to political allies and undermine the checks and balances at the heart of American democracy. With the fund set to operate until just before the next presidential inauguration, all eyes will be on how claims are handled, who benefits, and whether this extraordinary arrangement will become a new norm or a cautionary tale for the future.