On the afternoon of August 7, 2025, tragedy struck outside the Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate, Kent, when a four-year-old boy lost his life after being hit by a bus. The child, Zaahir Jan, had just left the hospital on foot after visiting his grandmother, an ordinary family moment that ended in heartbreak.
Emergency services were called to Ramsgate Road, near the hospital’s A&E department, shortly after 4pm. According to Kent Police, the incident involved a white single-decker bus, later confirmed by Stagecoach to be one of their vehicles. The bus was traveling near the entrance to the Accident & Emergency department when the collision occurred. Zaahir was quickly taken back inside the hospital, but despite the immediate efforts of medical staff, he was pronounced dead a short while later. His next of kin were informed soon after, and the devastating news began to ripple through the community.
The loss has left Zaahir’s family and the wider Margate community reeling. His mother, Azaria Green, expressed her grief in a heartfelt message on a GoFundMe page set up to support funeral costs. “Our sweet, funny boy with a cheeky smile that could make anyone’s heart full. The smile that we can’t see again. Can’t hold him. Can’t cuddle him. Can’t hear him. Can’t have him sleeping in my bed tonight. But I can try to give him the best and most comfortable burial. My baby I wish you were in my bed tonight cuddling. I love you my boy,” she wrote. She also added, “Everyone is devastated, but that word doesn’t feel like enough to explain how we are all feeling.”
Zaahir’s father, Navid Feizi, paid tribute to his son in comments to the BBC, describing him as a “sweet and charming boy” who was “always smiling and laughing.” Mr. Feizi added, “Even when he was hurt, he was always smiling.” The family’s pain was evident as they gathered near the hospital the next day, laying blankets, flowers, sweets, and handwritten letters in a makeshift memorial close to the scene of the accident. The GoFundMe page had already raised over £3,000 towards a £15,000 target by August 8, 2025, as the community rallied to support the grieving family.
Eyewitnesses described a chaotic scene in the moments leading up to the collision. Gillian Murphy, a patient at the hospital, told the BBC, “It was very busy with cars, and the bus was having trouble getting through. Next thing I knew, he was under the bus.” The incident has raised questions about pedestrian safety and traffic management near hospital entrances, especially during busy periods.
Authorities have launched a full investigation into the circumstances of the accident. Kent Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit is leading the inquiry and has issued an urgent appeal for witnesses. Officers are particularly keen to speak with anyone who was traveling on the bus and has not yet come forward, as well as anyone who may have CCTV or dashcam footage of the area at the time. In a statement, Kent Police said, “Witnesses, CCTV and dashcam footage are sought by officers investigating a fatal collision in Margate. Kent Police was called to Ramsgate Road shortly after 4pm on Thursday 7 August 2025 following a report of an incident involving a bus and a pedestrian outside Queen Elizabeth Queen Margaret Hospital. The bus, a white single decker vehicle, was traveling near the entrance to the A&E department. It is reported that the pedestrian, a four year old boy, left the hospital on foot and a collision took place. The child was taken inside the hospital and a short while later was sadly confirmed deceased. His next of kin has been informed.”
Stagecoach, the bus operator, confirmed the involvement of one of their vehicles and stated, “We can confirm that one of our buses was involved in a tragic incident within the grounds of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate on Thursday. Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with the family and all those affected at this incredibly difficult time. We are cooperating fully with the ongoing police investigation and are ensuring that support is in place for our driver.”
The local government also expressed its condolences. A spokesperson for Kent County Council said, “We are deeply saddened by this tragic death and our thoughts and sympathies are with the family at this time. As always when such a sad incident occurs, the council will work with appropriate partners to assist in any related inquiries should they be considered necessary.”
The hospital itself has acknowledged the impact of the tragedy. Tracey Fletcher, chief executive of East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust, said, “We are very saddened by yesterday’s tragic incident and send our sincere condolences to the family.”
In the days following the accident, the area outside the hospital became a focal point for mourning and remembrance. Family members and supporters continued to visit, laying tributes and sharing memories of Zaahir. The memorial, with its blankets, flowers, sweets, and letters, stands as a testament to the boy’s short but impactful life and the deep loss felt by those who loved him.
The incident has also sparked a broader conversation about safety around hospitals, particularly for vulnerable pedestrians such as children. While the specifics of how Zaahir came to be in the path of the bus remain under investigation, the tragedy has prompted calls for increased vigilance and possibly enhanced safety measures in high-traffic hospital zones.
For now, the investigation continues, with Kent Police urging anyone with information to contact their Serious Collision Investigation Unit at 01622 798538 or via email at [email protected], quoting reference KH//055/25. The hope is that a thorough inquiry will provide answers for Zaahir’s family and help prevent similar tragedies in the future.
As the community of Margate comes to terms with the loss, the memory of Zaahir Jan—his cheeky smile, his laughter, and the love he inspired—remains at the heart of a story marked by sorrow, resilience, and the enduring bonds of family.