In a move that has sent shockwaves through the British monarchy and beyond, Prince Andrew announced on October 17, 2025, that he would relinquish his Duke of York title and step further away from public life. This decision, reached after discussions with King Charles III and other senior royals, comes amid renewed scrutiny of Andrew's ties to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and fresh allegations that have reignited public outrage.
According to a statement released by Buckingham Palace, Andrew explained, "In discussion with The King, and my immediate and wider family, we have concluded the continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty and the Royal Family. I have decided, as I always have, to put my duty to my family and country first." He added, "With His Majesty’s agreement, we feel I must now go a step further. I will therefore no longer use my title or the honors which have been conferred upon me. As I have said previously, I vigorously deny the accusations against me." (Variety)
The announcement marks a significant, if not final, chapter in Prince Andrew’s long and controversial retreat from royal duties. The 65-year-old royal will remain a prince but no longer hold the Duke of York title, a designation originally bestowed upon him by Queen Elizabeth II. Andrew had already stopped using the style "His Royal Highness" in 2022, following the civil lawsuit brought against him by Virginia Giuffre, one of Epstein’s most prominent accusers. (Variety, The New York Post)
Virginia Giuffre, whose allegations were central to the downfall of Epstein and who became a leading advocate for other survivors, died by suicide earlier in 2025. Her family responded to Andrew’s announcement with both relief and renewed calls for further accountability. "This is not just a victory for her, but for every single survivor of the horrific crimes perpetrated by [Jeffrey] Epstein and his co-conspirators," her family said in a statement to The New York Post. They added, "We hope that the days of impunity for the powerful are over, and protection for predators will no longer be tolerated."
The Giuffre family also made it clear that, in their view, Andrew's surrender of the Duke of York title should not be the end of the matter. "We believe it is appropriate for King Charles III to pull the royal’s prince title next," they said, emphasizing their desire for a "higher standard" of accountability among global leaders and a future marked by "transparency, and justice for all survivors." (The New York Post, The Independent)
Giuffre’s accusations against Andrew first became public in 2019, when she alleged that, as a teenage victim of Epstein’s sex trafficking ring, she was flown to London and coerced into having sex with the prince on three occasions. Andrew has consistently denied all wrongdoing. In 2022, he reached a multi-million-pound settlement with Giuffre, ending the civil case without admitting liability. As part of the settlement, Andrew expressed regret for his association with Epstein and donated to Giuffre’s victim advocacy work. (Variety, The New York Post, The Independent)
The public’s focus on Andrew’s ties to Epstein intensified during the high-profile trial of Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s longtime associate, who is currently serving a 20-year sentence in federal prison for trafficking. Throughout these proceedings, Giuffre’s voice remained prominent—even after her death—as she had been among the first to publicly call for charges against Epstein and had worked tirelessly to support other victims. (The Independent)
Adding to the ongoing public reckoning, a posthumous memoir by Giuffre, titled Nobody's Girl: A Memoir of Surviving Abuse and Fighting for Justice, is set for release on October 21, 2025. The memoir, completed before her death, details her journey from being groomed by Maxwell—whom she met while working the front desk at a spa inside Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort—to her alleged encounters with Andrew. In the book, Giuffre describes three sexual encounters with the prince, including one in which he played a "guessing game" about her age before remarking that she was older than his daughters. (Variety, The Independent)
While Andrew’s supporters have pointed to his repeated denials and the lack of criminal charges as grounds for caution, critics argue that the monarchy’s slow response and Andrew’s continued status as a prince reflect a troubling reluctance to fully reckon with the scale of the scandal. Buckingham Palace’s latest move is widely seen as an attempt to draw a line under the controversy and refocus public attention on the work of King Charles III and the Prince and Princess of Wales. (Variety)
Yet, the question of accountability continues to loom. The Giuffre family’s statement underscores the wider implications of the case: "We hope a higher standard has been set for our leaders in office in the United States – one we will work tirelessly to follow here. It is time for accountability, transparency, and justice for all survivors." (The New York Post)
Beyond the Epstein-related allegations, Prince Andrew has also faced unrelated claims, including reports that he met multiple times in 2018 with a senior Chinese official at the heart of a China spy scandal. While these meetings have not resulted in formal accusations, they add another layer of complexity to Andrew’s public image and the royal family’s efforts to distance itself from controversy. (The Independent)
Friday’s announcement formalizes what has been a gradual and, at times, reluctant distancing of Prince Andrew from royal life. Since stepping back from public duties in 2019, Andrew has lost a number of patronages and honors. The latest decision to relinquish his title and honors is widely interpreted as both a personal and institutional acknowledgment of the damage the ongoing allegations have inflicted on the monarchy’s reputation. (NBC News, Variety)
For many observers, the saga raises profound questions about power, privilege, and justice. The monarchy, an institution often seen as above the fray of ordinary accountability, has been forced to confront the reality that even its most senior members are not immune to the consequences of association with criminal wrongdoing. The Giuffre family’s call for further action suggests that, for survivors and advocates, the journey toward justice is far from over.
As the world awaits the release of Giuffre’s memoir and the next steps from Buckingham Palace, the legacy of this case will likely continue to shape public debate about the responsibilities of the powerful—and the rights of those who seek redress for past wrongs.