Pat Perez’s professional golf journey has always had its share of twists, but his latest chapter might be the most compelling yet. After a storied PGA Tour career that saw him rack up 515 starts, three victories, 64 top-10 finishes, and nearly $30 million in prize money, Perez’s path took a dramatic turn when he joined the breakaway LIV Golf series in 2022 at the age of 46. The move was, in his own words, “like winning the lottery for me,” as he stepped into the lucrative world of LIV as part of Dustin Johnson’s 4Aces team. Yet, despite the high-profile switch, Perez struggled to find individual success, never finishing higher than 28th in the standings over three seasons and ultimately being cut after a disappointing 48th-place finish in 2024.
That could have been the end of the story. Instead, it marked a new beginning—albeit one few could have predicted. With his competitive future in limbo, Perez transitioned into broadcasting, joining LIV Golf’s commentary team. This wasn’t a half-hearted detour; from January through September 2025, Perez didn’t hit a single golf shot. “Didn’t even think about it,” he reflected earlier this week. “I never thought I’d be able to play on the tour again, so I just thought, you know what, I’m just going to kind of hang out and do TV and then we’ll see where it’s at.”
For nearly a year, Perez’s clubs gathered dust while he traveled the world with a microphone in hand. “When I came home, the boys are, like, ‘Are you going to play?’ I said, ‘No, I’m just not playing. I have no interest in it right now. I have nothing to get ready for because again, like I said, I did not think that this opportunity would come.” The hiatus was more than a physical break; it was a psychological reset. As Perez admitted, “I had nothing to play for.”
But the story didn’t end there. In late 2025, Perez applied for reinstatement to the PGA Tour. The Tour granted his request, but with a significant caveat: he would have to sit out the entire 2026 season, forfeiting his first 10 months of eligibility for the PGA Tour Champions circuit, which is open to players 50 and older. Perez turned 50 in March 2026, but the suspension meant his return would be limited to senior majors not run by the PGA Tour.
That left three events on his competitive calendar: the Senior PGA Championship (run by the PGA of America), the U.S. Senior Open (USGA), and the Senior Open Championship (R&A). Far from being discouraged, Perez saw an opportunity. “Really my focus changed in August [2025] to get ready for this week,” he said Wednesday from the Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Florida, site of the Senior PGA Championship. “I started counting the days. I got 144 days, and then I got to start working out. I got to start practicing harder and figuring out balls and clubs and all this other stuff and kind of get ready for this week.”
Perez’s preparation was as methodical as it was determined. He carved out time to practice at his home club, Silverleaf in Scottsdale, Arizona, juggled family responsibilities, and even managed the chaos of moving into a new house—complete with the unboxing of his extensive Jordan sneaker collection. The physical comeback was anything but easy. “It took a while,” he admitted. “My hand strength was gone. My arm strength was gone. Shoulders hurt. Back hurt. All the muscles I hadn’t used in so long. And then being 49, that’s not easy, either.”
The hard work paid off. On Thursday, April 16, 2026, Perez teed it up at the Senior PGA Championship and fired a three-under 69, just four shots off the day’s best round. He followed that with a 70 on Friday, moving to five-under-par and tied for ninth place, five strokes behind co-leaders Scott Hend and Brian Gay. For a player who hadn’t hit a competitive shot in nearly a year, the performance was nothing short of remarkable.
Perez’s comeback isn’t just about personal redemption—it’s a window into the evolving landscape of professional golf, where eligibility rules, rival leagues, and shifting loyalties can redraw a player’s career in real time. As one observer noted, his journey “is a reminder that professional golf now operates with multiple ladders, and not all of them lead back to the same place.”
Perez himself has been candid about the uncertainty and regrets that accompanied his move to LIV Golf. He knew there was a risk his career could be over and didn’t expect a route back to elite competition. “I probably won’t miss an event next year,” he said, looking ahead to 2027 when he’ll be eligible for a full PGA Tour Champions schedule. “From what I hear, this tour you want to hit it hard from 50 to 55. Since I’m missing 50, I’ll probably hit it hard the first three years and then kind of see where we’re at.”
The significance of Perez’s return extends beyond one week’s leaderboard. It’s a testament to resilience, adaptability, and the enduring lure of competition. His case also highlights how senior golf can serve as a stage for comeback stories, absorbing former stars whose careers have been reshaped by outside forces. For fans, it’s high drama; for the sport, it’s a reflection of the complicated rules and shifting alliances that define the modern era.
As the Senior PGA Championship unfolds at Concession Golf Club, all eyes are on Perez—not just to see where he finishes, but to watch how this unique second act plays out. Will this be a brief detour or the beginning of a new chapter? For now, Perez is content to savor the moment, back in the mix and proving that even after a year away, he still has what it takes to contend.
Whatever the outcome this week and at his two other senior major starts in 2026, one thing is clear: Pat Perez’s golf story is far from over. His journey from cut to contender, from commentator to competitor, is a reminder that in golf, as in life, the door to a new opportunity can swing open when you least expect it.