World News

Hamas Returns More Hostage Remains Amid Aid Crisis

Israel receives four additional deceased hostages from Hamas as tensions rise over delayed returns and looming cuts to Gaza aid.

6 min read

On October 14, 2025, the fragile peace process between Israel and Hamas faced a defining test as the remains of four more deceased Israeli hostages were returned to Israeli authorities in Gaza. The transfer, facilitated by the International Red Cross, followed days of mounting tension over the slow pace of hostage recoveries and threats by Israel to halve humanitarian aid deliveries to the war-torn Gaza Strip. The episode has underscored the deep complexities and emotional stakes of the U.S.-brokered ceasefire, as well as the immense challenges that remain for both sides—and for the region at large.

According to the Associated Press, the four bodies were received by Israeli military authorities inside Gaza before being transported to the National Center for Forensic Medicine for identification. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office confirmed late Tuesday that the families of the victims would be notified once the identification process was complete. This handover followed the transfer of four other bodies a day earlier, bringing the total number of deceased hostages returned so far to eight.

The hostages’ return is a central pillar of the Gaza peace plan, which called for Hamas to hand over all remaining hostages—both living and deceased—by October 13, 2025. While the 20 living hostages were freed by the deadline, only a fraction of the 28 deceased hostages had been returned by then. This shortfall quickly became the first major crisis of the peace process, with families of the hostages expressing deep frustration and accusing Hamas of violating the agreement. The Hostages and Missing Families Forum, representing many families, described the situation as a “blatant violation of the agreement by Hamas.”

Israeli officials responded swiftly. The military agency COGAT announced plans to allow only half of the 600 aid trucks into Gaza as stipulated under the deal, citing concerns over Hamas’s compliance. Netanyahu’s government also approved blocking the reopening of the Rafah crossing from Gaza into Egypt if further bodies were not returned. As reported by Axios, Israeli officials made it clear through Qatari and Egyptian mediators that returning the bodies was non-negotiable, and demanded that Hamas exert maximum effort to locate and hand over all remains.

Hamas, for its part, contended that recovering the remains was complicated by the widespread destruction in Gaza. The group told mediators that some bodies were trapped under rubble or in areas now controlled by Israeli troops, and warned it could take months to find all of them. President Donald Trump, who has played a prominent role in the negotiations, echoed these concerns during a visit to Egypt, stating, “Not all of the bodies of the deceased hostages had been found,” and that parties were still “working out” how to locate the remaining remains.

The issue has been further complicated by the fact that among the deceased hostages yet to be returned are two Americans, Itay Chen and Omer Neutra. The U.S. administration, according to the Associated Press, has been notified of the situation and is closely monitoring developments. Hostage families have urged the U.S. to “leave no stone unturned in demanding that Hamas fulfil their end of the agreement and bring all of the remaining hostages home.”

Behind the scenes, Israeli officials have suggested that Hamas underestimated just how seriously Israel viewed the return of the bodies. One senior official told Axios that it was only after Tuesday’s standoff that Hamas realized Israel knew more than previously assumed about the number and locations of bodies still held in Gaza. The Israeli government has also indicated that delays or perceived avoidance in returning hostages would be met with swift consequences, including restrictions on aid and the closure of key border crossings.

The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains dire. The United Nations’ humanitarian office was informed by Israeli authorities that aid deliveries would be slashed by half—a move that could have devastating consequences for the population. Gaza’s Health Ministry, part of the Hamas-run government, reports that the war has killed over 67,600 Palestinians, with women and children accounting for about half of the dead. The U.N. estimates that rebuilding Gaza will require a staggering $70 billion, a figure that highlights the immense scale of destruction and the long road to recovery.

Meanwhile, the peace process is entering a new phase fraught with uncertainty. The next steps, as outlined by Israeli and U.S. officials, include the disarming of Hamas and the establishment of a new governing mechanism for Gaza that excludes the group. President Trump has stated unequivocally, “They’re going to disarm ... and if they don’t disarm, we will disarm them. They know I am not playing games.” Hamas has reportedly expressed willingness to give up its heavy weapons to a Palestinian or Arab entity, but insists on retaining firearms for self-defense. Whether this compromise will be acceptable to all parties remains to be seen.

On the ground, the situation is tense and, at times, chaotic. Hamas security forces have reasserted control over areas vacated by Israeli troops and have reportedly conducted summary executions of alleged collaborators, according to videos circulating on social media and confirmed by Hamas officials. The Palestinian Authority has called on Hamas to halt these executions immediately, underscoring the deep divisions and competing claims to authority within Palestinian society.

For the families of the returned hostages, the trauma is far from over. Many of the freed Israeli hostages remain in medical care, suffering from severe malnutrition and psychological distress. Dalia Cusnir-Horn, whose brother-in-law Eitan Horn was among the hostages, told the Associated Press, “He’s just learning now … friends he knew that were murdered, and he had no clue how many people were kidnapped on that day and what this country went through, and it’s overwhelming and it’s hard.”

On the Palestinian side, the return of prisoners and detainees has brought its own share of anguish. Several released individuals required hospitalization, with doctors in Ramallah reporting signs of severe beatings and mistreatment. Kamal Abu Shanab, released after more than 18 years, claimed, “For eight months, I wasn’t given even a pill for the pain.” Israel’s Prison Service has stated it is unaware of such claims, and independent verification remains elusive.

As Israeli forces pull back to positions held before the latest Gaza City offensive, the fate of the territory hangs in the balance. Hard-hit neighborhoods remain under Israeli control, and residents have been warned not to return home. Displaced Palestinians, like Mohamad Abu Hajras, are desperate for a return to normalcy. “There is no infrastructure, electricity, water or anything that is fit for life,” he said.

The coming weeks will determine whether the peace process can survive its first crisis and whether both sides can move beyond the cycle of violence and retribution. For now, the return of the hostages—living and dead—remains both a symbol of hope and a stark reminder of the immense work that lies ahead.

Sources