In the turquoise waters of the Maldives’ Vaavu Atoll, a somber rescue mission has gripped the global diving community and the families of five Italian divers who vanished during a perilous cave dive last Thursday. As of Monday, May 18, 2026, only one body—belonging to diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti—has been recovered, while four others remain lost deep within a labyrinthine underwater cave system. The search, fraught with tragedy and danger, has already claimed the life of a Maldivian military diver and now hinges on the expertise of a newly arrived team of Finnish cave-diving specialists.
The disaster unfolded on May 14, when a group of five experienced Italian divers—four of them affiliated with the University of Genoa—descended into a cave located between 55 and 60 meters below the surface. The cave, notorious among local divers for its complexity, extends for hundreds of meters through twisting chambers and constricted passages. According to ABC News, the group included associate professor of ecology Monica Montefalcone, her daughter and biomedical engineering student Giorgia Sommacal, research assistant Muriel Oddenino, recent marine ecology master’s graduate Federico Gualtieri, and their instructor, Benedetti.
The dive, which exceeded the Maldives’ recreational limit of 30 meters, was not authorized by the Italian tour operator Albatros Top Boat, which managed the Duke of York liveaboard the group was traveling on. Orietta Stella, the company’s legal representative, told Corriere della Sera that the dive was far beyond what was planned for a scientific cruise focused on coral sampling at standard depths. “The victims were experienced divers, but the equipment they were using appeared to be standard recreational gear rather than technical, deep-diving equipment,” Stella said, emphasizing that the company neither owned the vessel nor employed its crew.
Tragedy struck not only the Italian group but also the Maldivian rescuers. On May 16, the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) suspended its search and recovery operation after Sergeant Major Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the recovery team, died from decompression sickness. Mahudhee had been part of an eight-person team that searched the first two large chambers and attempted to reach a third through narrow, interconnecting passages. The dangers of the cave—strong currents, poor visibility, and the risk of nitrogen narcosis—were compounded by rough seas and strong winds, as a yellow weather warning had been issued on the day of the dive.
“Everyone knows the rules were broken,” Shaff Naeem, a veteran Maldives instructor-trainer and advisor to the MNDF, told Italian news agency ANSA. Naeem, who has completed more than 50 technical dives in the cave, speculated that a domino effect could have occurred, with the divers facing the consequences of inadequate gas supplies, nitrogen narcosis, and poor visibility in an overhead environment. “Something must have happened down there,” echoed Carlo Sommacal, husband of Montefalcone and father of Giorgia, in an interview with la Repubblica. “She’s probably done 5,000 dives, and she’s always been conscientious. She would never have put our daughter’s or other children’s lives at risk.”
The University of Genoa confirmed that Montefalcone and Oddenino were in the Maldives on an official scientific mission to study the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity, but insisted the fatal dive was “undertaken privately.” The other divers had not been part of the mission. In a statement, the university expressed its condolences: “The sympathy of the entire university community goes out to the families, colleagues and students who shared their human and professional journey.”
With the MNDF operation halted, the focus shifted to a new team of elite divers. DAN Europe, a medical research and insurance group specializing in diving safety, dispatched a task force of specialists to the Maldives. The team includes Finnish divers Sami Paakkarinen and Patrik Grönqvist—both internationally recognized after their roles in the 2014 Plura cave-diving rescue in Norway, as chronicled in the documentary Diving Into The Unknown—and Jenni Westerlund. According to DAN Europe CEO Laura Marroni, the mission is fraught with difficulty: “Access to the cave is located at a depth of between 55 and 60 meters, while the underwater system extends for hundreds of meters through multiple chambers and internal passages. The victims may be located in areas that are difficult to access, requiring extremely careful planning of every phase of the intervention.”
Marroni underscored the urgency of the operation, citing risks from both environmental factors and predators. “We’ll bring [the victims’ bodies] back. We can’t leave them at the mercy of the sharks. We need experts here,” she told La Stampa. “Unfortunately, in warm waters, even if we don’t know exactly what fauna is in the cave, we can’t rule out the risk of predators like sharks or environmental impacts. During past recoveries, the worst happened. So every hour that passes is crucial.”
The Finnish divers, who arrived in the Maldives on May 17, are preparing to begin their mission on the morning of May 18. Their arrival has brought hope to families and colleagues desperate for closure, as well as to the broader diving community, which has been following the incident with a mix of sorrow and admiration for the rescuers’ courage. The Maldives government has said it expects the specialists to reassess the “high risk” recovery operation and determine whether it can proceed safely.
The incident has also prompted regulatory action. The Maldives Ministry of Tourism has suspended the operating license of the Duke of York liveaboard indefinitely, pending the outcome of the investigation. Meanwhile, the Rome prosecutor’s office has opened a parallel investigation in Italy. The case has highlighted gaps in the regulation and oversight of deep diving in the Maldives, a country better known for its vibrant coral reefs and recreational dive sites than for technical cave diving. As Marroni noted, “The Maldives aren’t known for deep-sea diving or cave diving, so there’s a lack of training or organization for this type of recovery.”
One member of the original group—a female University of Genoa student—survived after making a last-minute decision not to enter the water. She has been assisting authorities with their investigation, providing crucial insight into the group’s plans and the circumstances leading up to the dive.
As the Finnish team readies their equipment and the world waits for news, the tragedy serves as a stark reminder of the unforgiving nature of the ocean and the razor-thin margin for error in technical diving. For the families of the lost, and for the close-knit diving community, the hope is that the coming days will bring answers—and, at last, a chance to say goodbye.