World News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested In Epstein Scandal

The former prince faces unprecedented legal scrutiny after police allege he shared confidential reports with Jeffrey Epstein while serving as a trade envoy.

6 min read

On Thursday, February 19, 2026, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested at his Norfolk residence on King Charles III’s Sandringham Estate. The arrest, which took place on his 66th birthday, marks an extraordinary moment in modern British history—never before has a brother of a reigning monarch been taken into custody under such grave suspicion. The charge? Misconduct in public office, stemming from his controversial ties to the late American financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. According to The Associated Press and corroborated by the BBC, Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest of a man in his sixties from Norfolk, though British police protocol meant they did not name the suspect directly. However, the context and timing left little doubt as to the man’s identity. The force also announced searches at two properties: Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate, where Andrew had moved following his eviction from his longtime Windsor Castle residence earlier in February, and Royal Lodge in Berkshire. The arrest follows a cascade of revelations from millions of pages of U.S. Justice Department documents released under the Epstein Files Transparency Act. These files, as reported by The Hill and CBS News, included emails and correspondence indicating that Andrew, during his tenure as Britain’s Special Representative for Trade and Investment in 2010, shared confidential government reports with Epstein. One notable email thread from November 30, 2010, showed Andrew forwarding official reports on trade visits to Singapore, Hong Kong, and Vietnam to Epstein within minutes of receiving them from his special adviser. In another exchange, he described a file as “a confidential brief” on investment opportunities in southern Afghanistan, asking Epstein for “comments, views or ideas as to whom I could also usefully show this to attract some interest.” Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright stated, “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.” Wright emphasized the importance of maintaining the integrity and objectivity of the investigation, a sentiment echoed across official channels. The arrest is the latest and most dramatic development in a saga that has dogged the royal family for more than a decade. Andrew’s friendship with Epstein first came under intense scrutiny after Epstein pleaded guilty in 2008 to soliciting a minor for prostitution. The late Queen Elizabeth II forced Andrew to step back from royal duties in 2019 after a disastrous attempt to explain his relationship with Epstein in a BBC interview. Since then, further details have emerged—most recently in October 2025, when King Charles III stripped his brother of all royal titles following the release of new Epstein files by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. King Charles III responded swiftly to the news of his brother’s arrest. In a statement released to NewsNation and other outlets, the king said, “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.” British Prime Minister Keir Starmer also weighed in on the matter, telling the BBC, “I think that’s a matter for the police, they will conduct their own investigations, but one of the core principles in our system is that everybody is equal under the law and nobody is above the law.” The allegations against Andrew are not limited to the sharing of confidential information. The files and related court documents have revived longstanding accusations from Virginia Giuffre, an American woman who claimed she was trafficked by Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell to have sex with Andrew when she was underage. Andrew has consistently denied any wrongdoing but reached a civil settlement with Giuffre in 2022, reportedly for around $16 million, according to British media reports. Giuffre died by suicide last year, but her family released a statement on Thursday, saying, “At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty. On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the U.K.'s Thames Valley Police for their investigation, and the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.” Among the trove of documents released by U.S. authorities was a draft email from Ghislaine Maxwell to Epstein in 2015, confirming the authenticity of a now-infamous photograph of Andrew with Giuffre and Maxwell in London. “In 2001 I was in London when [name redacted] met a number of friends of mine including Prince Andrew. A photograph was taken as I imagine she wanted to show it to friends and family,” Maxwell wrote. Andrew had previously suggested the photo could have been faked, but this email appears to undercut that claim. The arrest has ignited debate across the United Kingdom and beyond. Royal experts like Craig Prescott of Royal Holloway, University of London, described it as “the most spectacular fall from grace for a member of the royal family in modern times.” Roya Nikkhah, royal editor for The Sunday Times, told CBS Mornings, “This is the king’s brother who has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office—the first senior royal to ever be arrested. It’s quite a moment in history.” As for the legal process, policing commentator Danny Shaw told the BBC that suspects in such cases are typically held for 12 to 24 hours before being charged or released, with the maximum period of detention—subject to judicial approval—being 96 hours. Shaw noted that Andrew would be treated like any other suspect: “There’ll be no special treatment for him.” Jeffrey Epstein, whose shadow looms large over this entire affair, was arrested on federal sex trafficking charges in New York in 2019 and died by suicide in jail while awaiting trial. The release of the Epstein files has not only reignited scrutiny of Andrew but also drawn in other high-profile figures, including former British Ambassador to the United States Peter Mandelson, who allegedly shared confidential information with Epstein as well. For now, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains in custody as the investigation continues. The British public—and indeed the world—waits to see what comes next for a royal family facing one of its greatest modern crises.

Sources